Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Thoughts About "On Writing"

If I have learned anything from "On Writing" by Stephen King that can pertain to feature writing, it is to be honest, transparent about who you are as a writer, and write about things that are relatable to your readers. I think this will help me with writing in this journalism class because I always feel like I have to become someone else when I write. If I am just honest and write and express my experiences in a way that allows my readers to relate, I think I will do fine in this class.

An example of this relatable quality that King has is his experience with poison ivy. I know we mostly have poison oak here in this region of Oregon, but they both make you itch like crazy and are a burden to deal with. I don't break out into a red rash when I'm exposed to poison oak but most of my family does, especially my mother and my grandfather who seem to break out in a rash at the sight of it. They have both told me stories very similar to King's experience and reading about his brought back many funny memories. I laugh every time anyone in my family gets poison oak because I'm a jerk and don't know the true pain of having an itchy rash on my ass.

King's honesty in "On Writing" makes me love reading his book. My favorite quote from the first 18 sections is, "This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit." I love how brutally honest King is, and it gives us some insight into who he is as a person. King seems like a no-nonsense guy who is very relatable and has a knack for writing in ways that makes the reader feel as though they are there with him experiencing the events he describes.

I am excited to continue reading "On Writing" and learning more about who Stephen King is and how he became the great writer he is today, as well as how I can become a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment