Thursday, May 28, 2020

10 Questions With ... Danielle Upton

Danielle and her dog, Kimber. Image
courtesy of Danielle.
Working as an instructional assistant at Elmira Elementary and an assistant coach for Elmira High School’s varsity softball team, Danielle Upton finds her days to be busy and filled with helping others and teaching or coaching the youth of Fern Ridge School District. She is a softball enthusiast, playing two years of softball at the collegiate level for Chemeketa Community College before beginning her journey as a coach at 21. She has been coaching for five years and working at the elementary school for three years.

Danielle’s day includes working with elementary-age children who have developmental disabilities, as well as assisting teachers in their classrooms. Beginning sometimes as early as December, she can also be found working with players, conducting softball conditioning before transitioning to full-scale coaching in late February or early March when the season begins. During Elmira’s 2019-20 basketball season, Danielle stepped in as an assistant junior varsity coach for the girls team.

Danielle has become a prominent figure in the Fern Ridge School District over the years, touching the lives of many young individuals.

What sparked your interest in working with elementary-age children, and is this something you wanted to do career wise or did you change courses?
My mom has worked at the elementary school for 15 years. While I was between jobs and taking a break from school, I started subbing. I ended up really enjoying it and applied for a position the following year. I definitely changed courses. I originally wanted to do something medical (physical therapist, sports medicine, chiropractor).

You’re going to school currently. Are you planning on changing careers after you finish school, or do you want to continue working in a school setting?
I think I am going to continue working in the school setting. I really enjoy it. I think getting my bachelor’s in community health will leave doors open if I ever do decide to step away from the education field.

Have you faced any hardships, either with work or coaching, that made you question if you were in the right career?
I have; there was one particular incident a couple years ago with coaching. I felt like I wasn't cut out to be in the position I am because I am young and I felt people were trying to take advantage of me.

What does a typical day look like for you with work and coaching?
Very busy! I typically arrive to work by 7:30 a.m. If the day went well I would leave right around 3 p.m. Practice usually starts at 3:45, so I would run home to change and grab a snack before heading to practice, which gets over at 6 p.m. The team would leave but almost every night the other coaches and I would stay and talk for about a half an hour. I would get home and have dinner, take care of my animals, and typically just zone out for a couple hours before heading to bed.

How has softball impacted your life, especially at the collegiate level?
Softball has been a huge part of my life. It gave me the opportunity to attend my first two years of college practically free (aside from rent and living expenses). Softball has also given me lifelong friends that I might not have otherwise. I am constantly meeting new people and learning about the game. Softball really helped me on a personal level as well. When I struggled with things in life I always had softball to go to as a getaway. This was very evident in college. I had a rough couple years adjusting to college and living in a new city. One thing that was familiar was softball. I honestly don't know where I would be today without it.

Do you find it difficult to balance work and coaching?
Sometimes yes. About midway through the season I start feeling exhausted and wonder why I do this to myself. But in reality I wouldn't have it any other way. Some days I am so tired after a long, emotionally stressful day at work and I don't want to go coach. But once I get there I forget about my hard day and I am able to relax and do something else I love.

How do you transition from working with young children all day to coaching high schoolers during the softball season, and recently with basketball?
The transition was hard when I first started. It has since been much easier. I think it is just getting used to the different ages. Also being in a different setting makes it an easier transition. I have found that I like the spread of kids I work with. Teaching gives me a chance to really impact a young kid's life. Whereas coaching gives me a chance to really help shape a teen in their hard years where they aren't sure who they are or what they might want in life.

Being so young and coaching high school sports, do you face any dilemmas or struggles with players, or even parents?
My first year was really hard because I was only 21. Now that I am a little bit older, and the age difference a bit greater, I think it is easier. At first it was hard because I didn't feel the girls took me seriously or respected my authority. I didn't feel I could really be a disciplinary coach. That doesn't really fit my personality. When things were frustrating I didn't feel the girls could take what I had to say with as much of an impact as the head coach who was male and in his 50's. However, I think it has also been a good thing for some of the girls to have a younger female coach there for them if they needed anything outside of softball. I think I became more of an older sister to some of the girls, but they respect me and listen to what I ask them to do on the field.

Do you plan on transitioning to head coach if the opportunity arises, or do you have other plans with softball?
I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I still have not made up my mind. I think that opportunity is coming faster than I might be ready for it. I question whether I have the skills to be a head coach at the high school level even with my experience I already have. My plan is to either continue to coach now or take a break for a while but I am sure I will be back to it.

If you had to give one piece of advice for anyone wanting to work at an elementary school, what would that be?
Every day is a new day. Some days are very hard emotionally but you have to remember you are there for the kids and they look up to you no matter what. I would also say don't expect them to be perfect. We know kids will make mistakes and I think it is extremely important to teach kids from their mistakes rather than always disciplining or looking down on them.


At A Glance
Danielle Upton
Occupation:
Instructional Assistant at Elmira Elementary and Varsity Softball Assistant Coach at Elmira High School
Education: Chemeketa Community College, BS in Community Health at Western Oregon University, currently completing BS in Community Health Promotion at Portland State University
Athletics: Played softball at Chemeketa Community College for two years
Pet: Kimber, her crazy and adorable dog
Years in Careers: Three years at Elmira Elementary, five years coaching varsity softball
Favorite Past Times: Playing or watching softball, spending time with her niece
Favorite Sports Teams: Oregon Ducks softball, football, and basketball
Hobby: Crafting personalized signs with vinyl stickers designed and made herself
What She’s Doing Now: Handing out meals for students in the community
Future Plans: Possibly obtaining a master’s degree in Early Childhood Education

No comments:

Post a Comment